OpenRTB Integration and Migration Plan
This document includes necessary information for bidder clients to review and plan for either a new integration with OpenRTB standard, or migration from a Xandr custom integration to OpenRTB standard.
Migration Planning - Options
This section applies to current clients migrating to OpenRTB.
Option 1: Switch the current Bidder ID to OpenRTB
Xandr strongly recommends this.
- Complete OpenRTB implementation
- Switch Current bidder ID and setup to OpenRTB protocol
- Switch back to current integration in case of any issues. (The time it takes to switch is estimated to take less than 60 minutes).
Option 2: Implement OpenRTB integration on a new Bidder ID
- Complete OpenRTB implementation on the new Bidder ID
- Re-sync users on the new Bidder ID
- A Xandr consultant will generate new pixels.
- The client will need to create and drop a new pixel - where user IDs are pushed to the new Bidder ID.
- Migrate seats (a.k.a. members) under the new Bidder ID.
- Migrate all creatives to the new Bidder ID.
- Inform seller partners of new buyer member IDs. This is to ensure:
- Deals are recreated correctly
- Any other sell-side features are set up for the new buyer member IDs.
Integration Planning Checklist
This section applies to all new and existing clients.
- Review the Xandr OpenRTB 2.4 spec
- Note to Current Integrated Clients: OpenRTB integration affects communication only but does not affect setup of Xandr bidder profiles, creative registration, auditing, and reporting.
- Only the fields listed in the Xandr OpenRTB 2.4 specification are supported. Please alert your Partner Manager or Consultant immediately if you see an attribute not supported that is "required" for your bid decisioning.
- Review the Bidder Hierarchy.
- Review the sandbox environment. (Note: This testing environment is cleared and updated monthly).
- Review Creative Setup.
- Review the Creative Audit Information page.
- Creative pre-registration is a requirement for display, video, and native creatives. This includes if your plans include buying mobile inventory.
- Dynamic tracking of creatives can be performed using custom macros in the creative object and in the bid responses.
- User matching table hosting: Who should host? Xandr, client or both?
- Review how to configure user ID mapping.
- We recommend the Xandr host user matching table.
- Number of seats (members)
- Set up different members for each client's customers to DSP clients. This is to set up deals for the end buyers.
- Client to list all details of the signals (fields) currently leveraged in the bid requests/bid responses. This should be given to a Xandr consultant.
- Engagement is expected to take 3-6 weeks.
- The client must fully review the Integration and Migration Planning checklist (this document) - and gather all the information by kickoff time.
- The client's technical resources must fully and continuously engage with Xandr consultants during this project time period.
See Migrate from AppNexus Protocol to OpenRTB for detailed migration steps.
Step 1: Complete kickoff call (Xandr consultant and client)
- Integration consultant will review planning checklist (above) with client. (Estimated time: 2 hours)
- Agree with client on setup and timelines (custom test environments have a 3 week span before they expire)
- Agree on success criteria (creative registration, bidding, notification)
- Registration with API is successful
- Creatives pass audit
- Bid responses accepted into auction
- Client's bid wins auction
- Client's impression trackers fire and data is recorded on the client-side.
- Supply Tests (Depending on your demand needs, the Xandr consultant can setup test publisher pages for supply-types/functionalities listed below:)
Step 2: Complete integration code (client) - (Estimated time: 7-10 days)
- Integration Objects (This section applies to both new integrations & migrations.)
- New Bidder
- SalesOps to create new objects, including contracts in production.
- Xandr consultant reviews objects and sends the details to the client.
- Existing Bidder
- Xandr consultant and client agree to a timeframe for protocol change, and include time for reversion if necessary.
- New Bidder
Step 3: Set up testing environment (Xandr consultant and client) - (Estimated time: 1 day)
Step 4: Complete Testing - (Estimated time: 7-10 days)
Check for the following:
- Automated API upload of creatives with no errors.
For video creatives, please confirm with a Xandr consultant of valid video content registration and VAST XML received.
- For Bid request/response protocol check and validation. (Bidder responses should match expected canonical responses).
- Bid responses with bids won. They run in the test environment first, and next via production traffic either from SSP or platform sellers. This includes validation of receipt of win notifications.
- When testing via production traffic, reporting should be compared to ensure minimal discrepancies.
- Ensure bidding works with a test budget and campaign limits (no overspend).
- Success call out
Step 5: Go Live!
The client account is then transferred over to a Technical Account Manager.