A bidder is a "decisioning brain" that calculates real-time auction bids using an algorithm and parameters such as user data, recency, location, etc. and plugs into one or more inventory sources using real-time bidding (RTB) APIs. Clients with existing bidders can plug in to our real-time platform to expand their access to premium and unique sources of supply and engage in transparent and technologically advanced media buying. You will host your bidder on a server in the AppNexus Cloud or on another server in close proximity to our datacenters, and it will be owned and maintained entirely by you. The benefits to bidders of working with AppNexus include the following:
- We provide auction data and results to all parties for more useful analytics
- We maintain strict standards, enforcing an inventory blacklist and other quality controls
- We promote adserver independence, allowing you to leverage your own knowledge across multiple services
- AppNexus is a platform incorporating data providers who can offer a comprehensive picture of a user and their potential value
If you do not currently manage your own bidding system, consider our full-featured bidding system, the AppNexus Console, which has built-in optimization and ad serving capabilities.
- Bidders in Pictures: This is a very high level pictorial overview of bidders in the AppNexus system.
- The Big Picture: This is a more detailed overview of bidding and ad traffic on the AppNexus platform.
The documentation you'll find here will help you navigate the AppNexus software in support of bidders. This includes information on using our API services, integrating bidders, and the OpenRTB protocol. You can browse through the help resources we've provided here to learn more.