Introduction to Viewability
What is Viewability and Why is it Important?
Marketers buy media to reach "eyeballs" in an effort to create awareness for their brand and influence consumers. If a marketer's advertisement goes unseen, there is no opportunity for the message to have an impact. An ad being seen by a human is therefore a fundamental requirement for all advertising. Digital media presents a unique and exciting opportunity to directly measure whether an ad was in-view of a consumer.Kevin Solinger, the Viewability Technology Product Manager, provides a quick overview of what viewability is in this video.
Viewability in Digital Media
- In 2007, Alenty was the first company to successfully measure ad-viewability. Alenty was later acquired by AppNexus in Xandr in 2014.
- In 2012, the Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB) defined a "viewable impression."
- In 2014, the Media Rating Council (MRC) lifted its ban on trading viewable impressions.
- Generate reports that provide viewability data by domains or by placements, allowing for comparison of different inventory sources.
- Choose to exclude (black-list), or include (white-list), a selection of domains or placements, enabling control over the viewability of inventory purchased.