Synchronizing Your Inventory using the Console API
This page walks you through the process of mapping your supply to the proper corresponding objects within AppNexus, using the Console API.
Step 1. Getting Started
Before getting started, please ensure that you have access to the Console API wiki space, you have gone through our API onboarding materials, received API credentials, and generally familiarized yourself with how the API functions.
Please also ensure that you have read the parent page to this one, explaining the AppNexus sell-side object hierarchy.
The rest of this document assumes an understanding of the Console API and the AppNexus sell-side object hierarchy.
Step 2. How Bid Requests Map to Publishers and Placements
For each integration type, there are 2 fields that can be used to indicate a mapping to AppNexus sell-side objects. For example:
- ext_pub_code maps to the publisher.code field in AppNexus
- ext_placement_code maps to the placement.code field in AppNexus
- BidRequest.Site.Publisher.id maps to the publisher.code field in AppNexus
- BidRequest.Site.id maps to the placement.code field in AppNexus
The following steps will explain how to create publisher and placement objects with the proper configuration to accept those mappings.
Step 3. Creating a Publisher
The first thing you'll do is create a new publisher, specifying the publisher.code if you're using one.
POST: http://api.appnexus.com/publisher?member_id=XXXX (where XXXX is your member ID)
- AAAA: set this to the name of the publisher
- BBBB: (optional) set this to the value passed in the bid request for mapping to the publisher object
- CCCC: (optional) set this to "public" or "private" based on whether you would like the publisher's name to be exposed to buyers, or not.
Once you have POST'ed successfully, the API will provide the ID of the newly-created object in its response. You'll need to store this value for further use.
Step 4. Creative a Payment Rule
- Unknown User (rhazan): TODO - is this necessary? why not O&O?
Step 5. Creating a Site (a.k.a. Placement Group)
Next, we'll create one or more Sites (or Placement Groups), which are simply a grouping mechanism if you have a large number of placements within one Publisher. Using one is mandatory, multiple is optional.
POST: http://api.appnexus.com/site?member_id=XXXX&publisher_id=YYYY (where XXXX is your member ID, YYYY is the ID of the publisher you created in the previous step)
- AAAA: set a name for the site
- BBBB: allowed values are "web", "mobile_web", or "mobile_app"
- if you set "web", AppNexus will assume that all impressions for underlying placements are for desktop browser inventory (regardless of banner, video, native, etc)
- if you set "mobile_web", we will assume that all impressions are for mobile browser
- if you set "mobile_app", we will assume that all impressions are for mobile applications