External Supply Standard Integration Process
This document includes the necessary information to review, plan, and execute a new OpenRTB integration - or migrate from a custom SSP protocol integration to OpenRTB standard, in a self-paced fashion.
This checklist applies to all external supply partners, (existing as well as new), who aim to integrate via OpenRTB.
- Confirm with the support your global auction timeout limits and your data center IPs closest to the AppNexus DC regions: US-east, US-west, EMEA and APAC.
- Confirm with the support your member seat ID and (if required), new member seat creation and API login credentials on the AppNexus system.
- Confirm with the support your endpoints for incoming bid requests, and (if required), new endpoint creation on the AppNexus system.
- Confirm with the support your usersync pixel in order to map your user IDs to AppNexus user IDs, and if required, new setup and usersync activation.
- Review the OpenRTB specification, and discuss any open questions with your AppNexus contact.
- Review the FAQ section and, discuss any open questions with your AppNexus contact.
- Engagement is expected to take 3-4 weeks.
- The client must fully review the Pre-requisite Checklist (this document) - and gather all the information prior following the steps above.
- The client confirms with the AppNexus contact the completion of the checklist. This is accomplished prior to the self-paced Integration/Migration steps below.
Step 1: Self-guided API/UI training and creation of objects (Estimated time: 7-10 days)
- Provision the objects that you will need for initial testing, either via the Console UI or Console API. See API Documentation for more details.
In order to provide transparency to our buyers and improve our optimization, we require our partners to break out their inventory by publisher. For more information regarding our inventory structure standards please visit our wiki page Use the Console API to Synchronize Your Inventory Structure.
- Use the Publisher Service to create publishers that are mapped to your inventory.
code field is required for all external sellers at both the publisher and placement levels and is highly recommended for all other sellers to ensure that your inventory is as granular as possible so that it can be investigated accurately for quality issues, and specifically for domain detectability. This step will help you to split your inventory into highly detectable and less detectable tags, allowing you to isolate the impacts of non-detectable domains on the rest of your inventory's viability.
- For a more detailed look at best practices relating to Inventory Structure and Domain Detection, see Best Practices For Increasing Domain Detectability.
Step 2: OpenRTB bid request endpoint testing (Estimated time: 7-10 days)
Use the endpoints below to send server-to-server OpenRTB bid requests to AppNexus:
*NOTE: MEMBER_ID and MEMBER_ALIAS should be replaced with your individual partner member ID and alias - provided by AppNexus contact.
- Feel free to use the bid request examples from the page Incoming Bid Request from SSPs and adjust the code fields accordingly to match your publisher and placement inventory mapping.
- You must use the test=1 query string parameter on your calls to identify a test impression. It will not be logged in reporting.
Step 3: Discrepancy checks and OpenRTB requirement validation 100QPS (Estimated time: 7-10 days)
We encourage a gradual traffic ramp-up where distinct portions of your inventory are being sent to AppNexus. General recommendation is to start with a small chunk of traffic (100-200 QPS).
AppNexus will run a delivery test from a dedicated buy-side member seat and notify you of any discrepancies before scaling your inventory further.
AppNexus will validate your OpenRTB bid requests and notify you in case the format needs to be corrected.
Final OpenRTB requirement validation 100%
Notify your AppNexus contact about the completion of the self-paced integration/migration, who will initiate the final OpenRTB requirement validation tests - and provide you with final results and feedback.